Welcome to the Demetriou Discussion archive! If you are new to this discussion, I recommend you click on the blog posts to the right and start with the "Welcome!" entry.

All entries are posted in chronological order from latest to oldest, so starting at the top will be confusing if you haven't been following along.

Enjoy!

Monday, October 15, 2007

#2 - Laying the Groundwork

The following comments were in response to my initial post regard John's article. This back-and-forth lays the groundwork for what follows. My posts are in blue, John's are in green and they are in chronological order. I have removed other poster's comments to focus on the "negotiation" process. You can click on the previous link to the original post to read all the comments in context.

I have transcribed the comments exactly as posted with only one edit, noted below.

#1:

Matt

I didn't think your post was at all the works of an extremist gun nut loon. I thought it was very well argued, informative and offered a fresh perspective on the issue.

I fully intend to argue my point in response to your views set out on your site and on mine.

However, this shall have to wait until over the weekend as pressing matters await.

Thanks for commenting on the topic and do expect a substantive response soon.

My kind regards

John

#2:

Thanks. I look forward to it. If you would like to discuss specific topics as a matter of back-and-forth debate, we can set something up that would be suitable to both.

I should warn you that folks like me are very well versed in topics such as this. We fight the "anti-gun lobby" here constantly and we are the reason they are hurting.

This type of conversation can get very broad. Most gun rights talks quickly head towards what constitutes a "right" and "reasonable restrictions" of same once you get out of the technical aspects of guns themselves and into philosophy and ideals. I can refer you to some excellent resources if you would like some background information.

If you would like to comment on narrow issues within a limited scope, that's fine too. I am always willing to educate. Agreement with my views is not a requirement but I do expect facts to be acknowledged when presently (most notably in the areas of established US law and technical aspects of firearms themselves).

Disagreement is wonderful and not a bad thing. I don't expect you to agree with me. Perhaps there can be "reasoned discourse" on the subject. We shall see.

Thanks for stopping by!

#3:

Marvellous stuff armed canadian.

I should like to see your sources and read what you have to say in due course.

My article on guns continues to attract vocal criticism, though none as reasoned and educated and courteous as your own view. Which is why I will tend to argue back in the appropriate style.

I will address your points tomorrow (which is Sunday) because such well argued and intelligent points will need my attention. Other people can be dealt with in a few seconds as I touch type my rebuttals in the usual brutal fashion.

Take care Armed Canadian and I look forward to engaging in verbal battle on the morrow.

my regards

John

#4:

Bolt,

Don't worry, I can turn it on and off at will. I'm much worse in person than in words because the real passion and annoyance comes through when face-to-face.

I promise I will behave.

John,

Thanks for stopping by again. I'll be happy to read-and-rebut anything you come up with. I'm surprised you consider me well-argued and intelligent. Most just write me off as another NRA apologist and gun nut death-dealer.

I assume you've read some of my blog which is another reason why I'm surprised you're still here. In the words of another blogger I read frequently, "I do this for me, not you.". As a result, read or don't read, agree or disagree, hate or whine, it doesn't bother me. I do this mainly as catharsis for my soul so I don't let day-to-day frustration with these issues eat me up. It does often come off over-the-top and I will never apologize for that. Just letting you know that so you know how I am.

The number of times I have descended into ad-hominem attacks I can count on the fingers of one hand. Call me stupid, misinformed, misguided, etc and I won't mind. I will try not to do the same in return. As Bolt says, keep it civil, heated, passionate and away from calling each other morons or baby killers and I think we'll be fine.

Take your time, there's no rush.

Until next time.

#5:

Matt, I've posted my reply on my site. I think in the name of decency and gentlemanly conduct, I shall the the honourable thing and post said response here on your site also.

I look forward to your comments, my good man.

regards

John...

(Editor's Note: I've removed the rest of his comment since it is his specific response to my comments and deserved its own post).

#6:

Thank you, sir. Would you prefer point-by-point discussion or in a broader context with your points as a whole taken into a account?

Point by point is easier for readers to follow but I can do an essay response just as easily.

I'm digging in. I will post my reply here as well as on your site if you wish.

#7:

Hello Armed Canadian,

I reckon the best way forward is essay style now. Point by point is all good in moderation, but these methods of discussion tend to lead to warped debates where each party concentrates on smaller parts of the whole sum, if you see what I mean.

Get rambling, dear chap and I shall do my best to pick my way through your musings.

Good evening

John

#8:

I reckon the best way forward is essay style now. Point by point is all good in moderation, but these methods of discussion tend to lead to warped debates where each party concentrates on smaller parts of the whole sum, if you see what I mean.

Get rambling, dear chap and I shall do my best to pick my way through your musings.

Hello John,

I'm going to set up a separate blog for these posts so anyone reading can follow along without being interrupted or have trouble finding stuff. It will provide a useful archive should this continue beyond a few posts (which I hope it will).

I am not expecting to change your mind. If I do, then I will be shocked because I lack that power of influence. If we can both walk away saying "You make some good points, let me think about it." to each other, I will consider that a success on both sides.

If you would like author privileges on the alternate blog for your responses, that is not a problem.

I'm working on my reply. Expect something this evening or tomorrow.

#9:

Matt

Nice idea on the separate blog for discussion. You go ahead with it and I'll contribute as and when appropriate - no need for me to have any author access.

I'll check in with your site to see evidence of any update.

regards

John

With this back-and-forth done, I set up the blog you are now reading.

Next: #3 - John's Response to My Initial Comments

No comments:

 
hitcounter